Welcome to my blog. I try to express what inspires me to write and the issues that are important to me. Please feel free to participate. Vivienne Ortega

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Jamie Oliver's "Bringing home the Bacon"


Decent people consume ham and bacon, and even pet lovers will eat pork! Pigs are intelligent and sensitive animals, but piglets live short and painful lives as 95% of pig meat production is in intensive sheds in Australia. Out if sight, out of mind! Sows are trapped in steel crates, prohibiting movement, for up to 16 weeks and then have little interaction with their offspring. Piglets are weaned early and have little maternal bonding. Codes of Practice protect producers from cruelty charges.
If Jamie Oliver is really concerned for the horrific cruelty of the way pigs are "farmed" then why not recommend alternatives?
Intensive pig farming is responsible for the outbreak of swine flu do to heat, crowding and the monoculture for viruses to attack.
Are consumers so addicted to taste that they can just ignore the implications? Stomachs seem to be more powerful than minds and hearts.
Jamie Oliver, the solution is - don't bring home the bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a tree-hugging vegan Christian with a family, 2 dogs, 2 budgies and a garden. I like reading, studying, the news, writing and various other activities.